If you count the hours spent sitting at your desk, you’ll be surprised. It’s no wonder we need a good office chair…
But a good office chair is not enough. It only focuses on your back, shoulders, and neck. What about your feet and legs?
Have you ever tried, after a long day of sitting at your desk, standing up and feeling a numb yet sharp pain in your legs? It’s not a pleasant feeling, right?
This happens because blood circulation cuts off when there’s pressure on your legs at the edge of a chair.
To avoid this and other leg and feet pains, discomfort, and problems, you need a desk footrest.
You might think a small stool or a stack of sturdy books will do. Anyway, it works exactly like a desk footrest. So what’s the difference?
If you’re planning on buying a desk footrest, don’t grab the first one you find or the cheapest one. You need to get one that fits your needs and preferences for it to work wonders.
We’re here to help. We’ll make it easier for you by listing the 5 best under desk footrest products in the markets today.
Table of Contents
- What Can Desk Foot rests Do?
- Should I Use a Footrest at My Desk?
- What to Look for When Buying a Desk Footrest
- The 5 Best Desk Footrests
- How Can I Improve Circulation while Sitting?
What Can Desk Foot rests Do?
Before that, it’s important to first understand what you can get out of a desk footrest. Why it’s so much better than using a small stool or piling sturdy books.
The 2 main things it can do for you are providing support and movement. And we don’t just mean while sitting down. It works even while standing up.
If your office chair is too tall for you, then you won’t be able to place your feet flat on the floor. You’ll have to dangle it, which, as you know, is very uncomfortable.
Even if you can place your feet flat on the floor, you’ll still experience discomfort after a long time.
With the soft elevation and unique designs of desk foot rests, all discomforts vanish. This is because it gives you a more ergonomic postural angle throughout your body.
This is the kind of support desk foot rests give you.
Now let’s talk about movement. This is where it gets interesting.
When we’re so focused on what we’re doing, we forget to move our legs and feet. This is what causes numbness, aches, and more serious issues, like blood clots causing deep vein thrombosis.
But with a desk footrest, you’ll find yourself moving your legs and feet throughout the day. Even sometimes unconsciously.
How does it work? It uses a very simple yet effective concept.
The concept is that, since there are many areas to rest your feet, you are more likely to move it around. You know that no matter where you place your feet, it will feel comfortable.
Like we said, simple yet effective.
To boil it down, desk foot rests deal with comfort and health.
Should I Use a Footrest at My Desk?
Yes, desk foot rests are great and all, but do I need it? Will it really change my desk work experience?
We’ll tell you now. It doesn’t matter who you are, how long you spend at your desk, or what kind of office chair you use, a desk footrest is for you.
What about if you’re someone that uses a standing desk? We’ve already mentioned that it works for standing as well!
You can place the desk footrest in front or right under your left or right foot. This way, one foot is always resting. So there’s no more pressure and discomfort in your heels, knees, and even lower back (back pain).
You’ll be amazed at how long you can stand without getting tired!
There’s no point in not getting a desk footrest when it gives you ultimate comfort and health. Don’t worry, it doesn’t even have to cost much.
What to Look for When Buying a Desk Footrest
If you want to find the best desk footrest for your needs and preferences, there are a few things to consider.
The most important one is height adjustment.
You’ll need to make sure that the footrest is perfect for your height and the height of your office chair and desk.
If you’re not quite sure what height you need, there are height-adjustable footrest products. This way, even if you switch office chairs or desks, you can still get the right elevation.
Then, there’s the angle to consider.
Find a desk footrest with an angle that gives you the most comfort. Again, there are angle adjustable footrest products that allow you to reposition it.
Finally, there are the features.
Do you want blood circulation to be constant? There are massaging desk footrests that keep your feet in motion.
Do you not want to bend over to fix height or angle adjustments? Get a desk footrest with foot pedals.
Are you planning on removing your shoes while working? A cushioned desk footrest will feel like a soft carpet beneath your feet.
These were only a few examples. There are a lot of different features that a desk footrest can offer.
Remember this sequence when looking for a desk footrest. Adjustments first, angles next and then features.
The 5 Best Desk Footrests
Now that you know more about desk footrests and what to look for, let’s review the 5 best ones out there.
1. Best in Versatility: Scriptract Memory Foam Ergonomic Footrest
- Premium Comfy Quality. This foot stool is made of high rebound foam that is neither too soft nor too firm. It will...
- Non-slip bottom with rubber micro-beads provide excellent grip on most surface, such as flooring or carpets. Will...
- Multi-purpose. 1) Ergonomic floor pillow for lumbar, back, knee, neck, feet pain, cramping, numb and fatigued feet...
You’ll love Scriptract’s desk footrest because it’s very versatile. You can use it almost anywhere, at your desk, on your sofa or bed, even on an airplane or car ride.
That’s not the only reason it’s the best in versatility. It’s also because you can use the top and bottom for your feet.
At the top, a curved surface connects to a base by an elastic band. Both of these are made from a high rebound memory foam covered in a breathable mesh material.
The high rebound memory foam is just right, not too soft or too firm. This ensures that it won’t deform when you rest your feet on it, but also that it gives great comfort.
If you want, you can change the shape of this desk footrest. Remove the elastic straps and move the curved surface forward or backward. This way, you can rest one leg on the curved surface and the other one on the base.
At the bottom, there are small rubber beads that prevent slipping. You don’t want your desk footrest sliding away from you.
We mentioned that you can use the bottom for your feet as well. Turn the curved surface upside down and you have a fun and relaxing rocking footrest.
In this position, you can use the small rubber beads as a massager to increase your blood circulation.
If you use it upside down or with shoes, it gets dirty rather quickly. The good news is that it’s easy to clean. Just remove the mesh material and wash it in a washing machine.
If you’re much shorter or taller, this desk footrest might not be ideal for you.
The base is 2in high and the curved surface is 4in high. A total of 6in high might not be enough to give you maximum comfort and posture if you’re shorter.
The width of the base is 17.3in and its length is 11.2in. If you’re a taller person, that might not be enough space to freely move your feet around.
What We Like
- It’s very versatile. It’s not only for desk work. You can also use it on your sofa and bed or during travels.
- You can use both the top and bottom for your feet. This allows diverse leg positioning and movement throughout the day.
- The curved surface and base are made from high rebound memory foam. Its not too soft, not too firm material provides no deformities and great comfort.
- The bottom has small rubber beads. It grips the floor to prevent the footrest from slipping. It can also be used as a massager.
- It’s easy to clean. The mesh material is removable and can be machine washed.
What We Don’t Like
- It gets dirty quite easily.
- It’s not ideal for shorter or taller people.
2. Best in Adjustments: HUANUO Desk Foot rest
- Ergonomic Office footrest - Helps to improve posture by keeping your feet and legs elevated. Rest your legs in your...
- Adjustable Height - Height is manually adjustable to 3 different positions: 4.3" , 5.5 ", 6.7" (11cm/14 cm/17cm)....
- Easy Angle Adjustment - Tilts -30°- +30°to support your legs at your preferred angle. The Angle can't be fixed,...
If you’re looking for a high-quality adjustable footrest, HUANUO has one of the best.
You can adjust it to 3 heights. 4.3in, 5.5in, and 6.7in.
Angling the foot rest is also adjustable. It can tilt -30° and +30°.
These make it easy to find your preferred height or leg position for complete relaxation.
You can’t lock an angle in one position, though. So if you keep moving your feet around, the angle will rock along with it.
This is great because it promotes leg movement and blood circulation while at your desk. However, it’s not for everyone.
If you’re looking for a more stationary footrest, this feature will annoy and bother you.
If you don’t mind the constant rocking, this isn’t a problem. If you do mind, this footrest isn’t the best choice for you.
Another thing worth mentioning about this footrest is its geometric circular bump platform. If you use it with socks or barefoot, the bumps give off a massaging effect.
This massaging effect is great for both blood circulation and stress reduction. So it improves both your physical and mental health.
Also, since it comes fully assembled, you can use it right away.
It’s important to note that the legs don’t have grips. It might slide away if the floor is marbled or glossy. To avoid this, you can place a rug under it.
What We Like
- An adjustable footrest. You can adjust the height into 4.3in, 5.5in, and 6.7in. You can also angle the tilt -30° and +30°.
- It’s a rocking footrest. This promotes more leg movement and better blood circulation.
- It has a textured surface. The circular bumps provide a massaging effect for even better blood circulation and stress reduction.
- It comes fully assembled. You can use this desk footrest right away.
What We Don’t Like
- It’s not for everyone since it can’t lock an angle into position.
- The legs don’t have grips.
3. Best in Sturdiness: VIVO STAND-FT01
- Health Benefits - Reduces stress and exhaustion that may result from prolonged periods of standing or sitting...
- Adjustment - Features multiple points of height adjustment to help find the most convenient and comfortable...
- Anti-Slip - Textured platform surface prevents your feet from slipping while padding on bottom of footrest prevents...
You might worry that a desk footrest can’t handle the pressure from your heavy legs. Well, with VIVO’s STAND-FT01, you don’t have to worry about that anymore.
You can trust it to support heavier weight and more pressure since it’s made from sturdy steel. Also, this material allows it to last much longer than other desk foot rests.
Is it comfortable? Yes, of course!
The feet platform is made from a firm, textured surface that’ll keep your legs and feet relaxed all day. This is because the surface is non-slip. You don’t need to exert any effort to keep your feet from sliding down the tiled angle.
It has a very easy adjusting feature. Simply lift the feet platform to release it from its bracket and place it in another bracket.
The lowest bracket is 6in while the highest is 11in. If you’ve been looking for a footrest good for short people, this is it.
It’s only 15.7in wide, though. You might not have a lot of feet area but you can fit it under any desk as it will only take up minimal space.
Another thing to note is that it has a fixed tilt. You won’t be able to angle it how you want, or even flatten it. This might not be an ideal feature for you.
It’s easy to move and carry around because of 2 features.
The first is that even if it’s made from sturdy steel, it’s surprisingly very lightweight. The other feature is a memory foam handle for an easy grip.
What We Like
- It’s very sturdy. The sturdy steel won’t budge no matter how much leg pressure you apply. Also, the material allows it to last for a long time.
- The feet platform is firm and textured. You’ll enjoy great feet and leg relaxation because of its non-slip effect.
- It has easy adjusting features. Just lift the feet platform and place it in any height bracket.
- It can extend up to 11in. This is perfect for short people that can’t seem to find a footrest that works for them.
- It takes up very little space under your desk. You can fit it no matter how small or thin your desk is.
- It’s very lightweight. Even if it’s made from sturdy steel, you can move and carry it around easily. To make it even easier, it has a memory foam handle.
What We Don’t Like
- It doesn’t have much feet space.
- You can’t flatten or move the fixed tilt angle.
4. Best in Health: Beurer FM250 Vital Legs
- REVITALIZE YOUR FEET - Our Foot and Leg Massager Machine uses Electromagnetic Muscle Stimulation (EMS) technology...
- HOW IT WORKS - The Beurer Leg Circulation Machine is a non-invasive approach to pain relief that uses EMS to...
- ADJUSTABLE INTENSITY - The EMS Circulation Booster features intensity levels from 1 to 99 and a timer function from...
This isn’t really a desk footrest, but no one said you can’t use it for that purpose. It has everything you need in a desk footrest, anyway. Elevation, comfort, and movement.
The machine between the feet platforms is the one that controls it all. It automatically tilts each platform back and forth. It allows you to pick the swing intensity on your left or right foot.
Not only that, but the machine also works as a circular and electro stimulator. There’s no doubt your legs and feet are getting the right movement and blood flow.
There’s more to it than that. Your feet and legs will also enjoy muscle tension relief, fatigue reduction, no more aches, and pains, etc…
What if you want to direct the electro stimulator on a specific area on your leg? Say, like, your calves? That’s possible because 2 extra cuffs come with the device.
Place the cuffs on the specific leg area and it will generate some of the electro currents there. This allows you to hit the areas that hurt, have numbness, fatigue, and more.
Even though the FM250 focuses more on movement, it still provides comfort as well.
But keep in mind that the elevation isn’t very high. A shorter person, or someone with a taller desk, will have a hard time reaching it.
The fact that the machine comes with its own remote control adds to your comfort. You don’t have to stoop down to manage the machine anymore.
To use it, you’ll need 4 AA batteries for the stimulator current. To man the machine itself, it comes with an electrical power cord.
Because of this, you might find it a bit inconvenient. You’ll have to change the batteries now and then. And, you can only use it near an outlet that matches the power cord.
As you can probably guess, with all its top-notch features, it won’t come cheap. It’s one of the more expensive “desk foot rests”.
What We Like
- It’s machine-controlled. Everything, from the swinging to the intensity to the circular and electro stimulator, is controlled by it.
- It provides the best health for your legs and feet. You’ll have perfect leg movement and blood flow. As well as fatigue reduction, muscle tension relief, and so much more.
- It comes with 2 extra cuffs. This allows you to electro stimulate specific areas in your leg.
- It comes with remote control. You don’t need to stoop down to control the machine anymore.
What We Don’t Like
- The elevation is rather short.
- It’s inconvenient.
- It’s expensive.
5. Best in Portability: Travelsky Inflatable Foot rest
- TRAVEL & OFFICE NECESSARIES - Sitting in the office, car or plane can be hard on your lower back, knees, and feet....
- PREMIUM QUALITY - The Travesky airplane footrest is made of soft, durable, and environmentally friendly PVC...
- EASILY INFLATE & DEFLATE - Open the valve cover, and blow it up with a few breathes air by your mouth, and then...
If you want a footrest that you can take anywhere with you, choose Travelsky’s Inflatable Foot rest.
The reason why it’s so portable is that you can inflate and deflate it within seconds. There’s no more need for an air pump.
And with its patented EZ valve, air won’t leak out. Even if you rest your full leg weight on it for many hours.
When it’s deflated, you can fold it to the size of a book! It even comes with a storage bag for easy travel.
This storage bag doesn’t just work as a regular bag. It has another great function.
When the footrest is inflated, you can unfold the storage bag and use it to wrap around the footrest. This way, it’ll be easy to clean since you only need to wash the storage bag instead of the actual footrest.
For material, Travelsky Inflatable Footrest uses PVC Flocking. This makes it soft, durable, and skin-friendly. It also allows the surface to contour to your feet, giving it a comfortable feel.
This footrest comes in 3 layers or heights.
The first layer can inflate up to 6.7in. The second layer is 11.8in. And the last layer makes it reach 17.3in!
For desk work, one layer is enough to elevate your feet for comfort. Unless you have a tall office chair or desk, choose the 2nd or 3rd layer.
Yes, the inflation/deflation feature is what adds to its portability. But some people might find this inconvenient. They would rather have a portable footrest that doesn’t need any work.
What we’re trying to say is that this depends on your preferences.
What We Like
- It’s portable. You can inflate and deflate it for easy travel.
- It comes with a storage bag. This storage bag is also a cover for the footrest to make cleaning easier.
- It’s made from PVC Flocking. This makes it soft, durable, skin-friendly, and comfortable.
- It comes in 3 layers or heights. The first layer is 6.7in. The second is 11.8in. And the third is 17.3in.
What We Don’t Like
- It requires work to assemble.
How Can I Improve Circulation while Sitting?
If your purpose for buying a desk footrest is for better circulation, it’s crucial to learn more about it.
By now, you already know the answer is movement. But what’s the best movement? And, why is it the best?
The movement that promotes the most blood circulation is shifting your feet up and down. As you switch from toes up to heels up, you’re using all your lower leg muscles. Your thighs and knees also support the movement, making the blood flow very smooth.
Of course, moving your whole leg is better than not moving at all. But it won’t give ideal blood circulation.
Why? Because the focus is all on the thighs and knees. The circulation doesn’t involve the lower leg or foot.
So you can now see why shifting your feet up and down is the best movement to provide better circulation.
With this in mind, a lot of desk foot rests today offer a way for you to shift your feet up and down. As blood circulation improves, overall health does as well.
Do you want desk work to be more comfortable and healthy? Desk foot rests won’t disappoint.
We’ve listed the 5 best ones so that you can find one that suits your needs and preferences.