Do you want to avoid scratches and scuff marks on your hardwood floor?
Of course, you do!
Unfortunately, office chairs contribute to that very thing we want to avoid.
You probably know this all too well.
Something as simple as placing an office chair mat will do the trick in preserving the hardwood.
The not-so-simple task, though, is choosing the right office chair mat for YOU.
Is it ok to grab the first, or cheapest, office chair mat that you find? Maybe not.
Here, we’ll look at:
- The complete buying guide to office chair mats for hardwood floors.
- The 5 best office chair mats for hardwood floors in the market today.
Ready? Let’s get to it!
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Picks for You
- Office Chair Mats for Hardwood Floors: The Complete Buying Guide
- 1. Size: Is It Big Enough for You?
- 2. Shape: Where Will You Place the Office Chair Mat?
- 3. Thickness: Is It Thick Enough to Protect Your Hardwood Floor?
- 4. Material: What’s the Good Mat Material for Your Needs?
- 5. Underpad: Are the Underpads Safe for Your Hardwood?
- 6. Designs: What Compliments Your Office’s Interior Design?
- The 5 Best Office Chair Mats for Hardwood Floors
Top 3 Picks for You
Office Chair Mats for Hardwood Floors: The Complete Buying Guide
If you grab the first or cheapest office chair mat, you’ll find a lot of problems with it.
Your office chair will refuse to roll freely on it…
It’ll be too small…
It’ll still scratch and leave marks on your hardwood floor…
The list goes on.
When it comes to specific chair mats, it’s important to know what you’re looking for. What fits your needs and preferences.
In this buying guide, we’ll give you 6 things to look into if you want to find the perfect one for YOU.
1. Size: Is It Big Enough for You?
When buying any kind of mat, size is always crucial.
Say, for example, you roll your office chair to a cabinet beside your desk. If the mat covers only the desk area, then it won’t be able to protect that other area of your hardwood floor.
Do you just roll your office chair around your desk area?
Do you roll it across your desk?
Answer these questions and you’ll get a good idea of what size you need.
If you do that, then you won’t ever have to roll on your hardwood floor and damage it.
2. Shape: Where Will You Place the Office Chair Mat?
This question helps you determine the shape you need.
The most common shapes are square and rectangular. These can fit almost anywhere.
However, if your desk is on a corner or L workstation, a bulb shape mat will be a better fit.
If you roll your office chair all the way into your desk, get a mat with a lip.
Don’t move around a lot? A round mat has the same shape as the office chair’s base and legs, protecting that area alone.
So before you buy an office chair mat, you need to know where you’ll place it first.
3. Thickness: Is It Thick Enough to Protect Your Hardwood Floor?
It’s so frustrating when your office chair mat doesn’t protect your hardwood floor.
This is actually a common problem.
The reason is that the mat is too thin.
The impact of your office chair’s wheels can go through it.
It’ll be like there’s no mat at all as the wheels still drag against the hardwood.
When choosing a good office chair mat for hardwood floors…
Make. sure. you. get. the. right. thickness.
If you’re heavier, though, it’s best to get a mat with a 3/16inches or 5mm thickness.
4. Material: What’s the Good Mat Material for Your Needs?
No doubt you want an office chair mat that suits your needs and preferences.
Well, that will all depend on its material.
- PVC or vinyl. These are great materials because of its flexibility. It can conform to the impact of the wheels, making it less likely to crack.
- Polycarbonate. This is smooth and rigid. You’ll enjoy its mobility and flatness.
- Rubber. This is another flexible material. It’s durable and can withstand frequent use.
- Tempered glass is the best office chair mat material. It’s a long-lasting and super-strong material, able to carry weights up to 1,000lbs! You should know that it’s hard to find office chair mats made from this.
Here are our tips:
Don’t want it curling at the sides and edges? Look into rigid materials.
What about a mat that you can roll your office chair around freely? Your best option is one with a smooth surface.
Want it to last long? Get a durable one.
5. Underpad: Are the Underpads Safe for Your Hardwood?
Office chair mats protect your hardwood floor.
But it’ll be completely useless if the mat’s underpad is going to damage the hardwood anyway.
This is why avoid underpads with cleats, grips, or spikes.
Remember, these underpads press down on the floor every time you move your office chair across it.
It’ll be like you moved an office chair across the hardwood itself, or worse.
What are good underpads for the hardwood?
Go for smooth underpads.
Since it’s smooth, there’s nothing to scratch, scuff, or dent the hardwood.
You should know, though, that smooth underpads tend to skid since it doesn’t have a secure hold on the floor.
A better option, then, will be textured underpads.
These use a soft material, so as not to cause damage. And, they have small crevices or dots that allow the mat to stay in place.
You get the best of both!
Read more: The 5 Best Chair Mats For Heavy People
6. Designs: What Compliments Your Office’s Interior Design?
If you love following color sequences or themes, then the mat design you choose should be important to you.
You don’t want it causing a sore eye.
Of course, the design will depend solely on what you like.
Bold colors that add spice to neutral-colored offices…
Unique designs that show off your personality and style.
Plain colors that don’t grab attention.
Whatever suits your fancy.
But what if you don’t want to cover up any area of your hardwood floor?
You’ll be happy to know that there are transparent office chair mats. You can display the hardwood’s full beauty.
The 5 Best Office Chair Mats for Hardwood Floors
Now that you know what to look for, let’s review the 5 best office chair mats for hardwood floors in the market today.
1. Most Transparent: MuArts Super-Clear Office Chair Mat
- Specifications: 47inch x 35inch x 0.125inch (length x width x height), weighing about 9LB. the thickest and...
- Transparency: As crystal-clear as glass, the hard floor texture can be clearly seen through this 1/8 thick chair...
- Delivered in a compact roll format: because it is too thick and too heavy, it can quickly restore flat, allow up to...
You might not want to hide the beauty of your hardwood…
Then transparent office chair mats are for you!
If you look into transparent mats, you’ll find that most are not crystal-clear. It has more of a plasticky effect that might ruin the hardwood’s looks.
MuArts Super-Clear Office Chair Mat takes it to a whole new level.
With its super-clear technology, it’ll be like there’s no mat at all.
You may forget it’s even there.
This office chair mat also offers great protection for your hardwood.
Its phthalate-free PVC material is both thick and durable.
The thickness will…
- protect the wheels from seeping through
- keep the mat from curling at the sides or edges
- Secure it to the floor
As for its durableness, it will…
- last much longer than regular chair mats
- withstand heavier weights
What’s more, it’s flame resistant.
You don’t need to worry about it catching flames.
To be sure, it’s a rather expensive mat. Not the best option for you if you’re on a budget.
|Size||Length: 47in Width: 35in|
2. Most Environment-Friendly: Lesonic Office Chair Mat
- PURE POLYETHENE AND EVA DESK MAT - Odorless, PVC free, & Phthalate-free, and free from tin, lead and other metals,...
- SUPER-DURABLE,NO CRACK, BEND, BREAK, SCRATCH OR DISCOLOR DESK FLOOR MATS - The unique surface texture allows your...
- MULTI-PURPOSE FLOOR MATS FOR OFFICE - for using under chairs, computer desk, plants, ornaments, crafts, dog...
Are you conscious about the environment in your office and all around you?
Lesonic Office Chair Mat is the most environment-friendly chair mat out there.
It’s odorless, non-toxic, PVC-free, BPA and phthalate-free. It’s also free from tin-lead and metal.
And, it’s made from 100% pure polyethylene and ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA). Both of which are recyclable materials.
Talk about keeping the environment safe!
Despite that, it doesn’t give up its main purpose – keeping your hardwood safe.
Its strong, recyclable materials don’t crack under pressure, ensuring great protection.
One feature we love is its textured surface and underpad.
Your office chair won’t roll away from the mat . Plus, the mat itself won’t move along with your office chair.
A downside is that it’s a rather thin mat. It might not work for a heavier person.
Also, since it’s thin and light, it might take several days to completely flatten it out.
|Size||Length: 47in Width: 35in|
|Material||100% pure polyethylene and EVA|
|Design||Shiny black with a textured, non-slip surface|
3. Most Coverage: Resilia Runner Mats
- PROTECTS HARDFLOORS: Protect surfaces from dings, scratches, wear and spills
- GREAT FOR HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS: Use on tile, wood or other smooth surfaces, not intended for use over carpet
- CUTS EASILY: Easily cuts with scissors or utility knife to create a custom size for your project needs
Resilia Runner Mats aren’t specifically made for office chairs…
Still, it can work with it!
These mats are great if you’re looking for one that’s long enough to cover the area behind your desk.
With a length of 12ft, that’s more than enough!
If it’s too long, you can easily cut it with a scissor or utility knife.
What else can you expect from this mat?
- It is non-absorbent. Spilled drinks won’t seep into it and the hardwood.
- It’s easy to clean. Since it doesn’t absorb anything, wiping it with a cloth will do the trick.
- It’s thick and firm. This mat isn’t prone to tearing or skidding.
What are some downsides you’ll run across?
- It’s not specifically made for office chairs. To roll freely on it, that’ll depend on your chair’s wheels.
- It has a harder underpad. The underpad might damage the hardwood if your weight is too heavy.
- It’s narrow. What it has in length, it lacks in width. It might not fit the whole width of your desk.
|Size||Length: 12ft Width: 27in|
|Material||Flexible PVC vinyl|
|Underpad||Textured flexible PVC vinyl|
|Design||Transparent with texture|
4. Most Eye-Catching: TIKNPOL Office Chair Mat [OUT OF STOCK]
- MATERIAL AND SIZE: The carpet has super soft velvet surface, sponge interlayer, non-slip plastic spots bottom.
- MOVE WITH EASE: Regardless of the weight of the user, the tried and tested surface of the chair underlay has a...
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Embellish your floors with this shag rugs, it's a perfect home decor for bedroom, kids room, girls...
Are you looking for a chair mat that grabs attention?
TIKNPOL offers some of the best ones.
These mats are used for both hardwood protection and decoration.
Its bright, solid color can liven up any office.
And, you get to choose from 5 different colors – purple, red, reddish-brown, brown, and bluish-gray.
As for its protection, there are 3 layers.
- A soft, velvety surface. This isn’t only lovely for your office chair, but your feet as well.
- A sponge interlay. Besides making it even softer, the sponge’s thickness keeps the wheels away from the floor.
- A plastic-spotted underpad. The non-slip spots will secure the mat, while the plastic material won’t do any harm on the hardwood.
TIKNPOL Office Chair Mat is like a mini carpet for your office chair.
Like every other office chair mat, there are a few downsides.
- Only hard wheels can roll freely on it.
- Cleaning it needs to be hand-washed with warm water and gentle detergents.
|Material||Soft velvet surface, sponge interlay|
|Underpad||Non-slip plastic spots|
|Design||Solid, bright colors|
5. Most Sturdy: Anji Mountain Bamboo Chair Mat
- Exquisite natural fiber mat is more attractive than a plastic mat and supremely durable; Perfect for home or office
- Perfect for commercial carpet (up to 1/4-Inch, no carpet pad) or hard floors; hard floor chair casters recommended
- Cleans easily with damp cloth and water; Bona Pro Series hardwood floor cleaner and refresher also recommended;...
You might be wondering, “Is there any chair mat made from something other than some sort of plastic or rubber?”
This chair mat is made from real bamboo.
You can see right away why it’s the most sturdy and durable.
Not only that, but it’ll also feel like rolling on actual hardwood.
Coated with a premium UV-cured finish, the impact of the wheels won’t affect the mat.
Worried about liquid spills and dampness? It’s warp-resistant.
Worried about it being hard to transfer or store? You can actually roll it up.
Worried about it moving around and damaging your hardwood? Its underpad is covered with felt and non-slip dots.
This office chair mat has a classy look and hardwood features that are hard to match.
As you can guess, it’s expensive. In fact, it’s one of the most expensive office chair mats out there.
|Size||Length (not including lip): 39in. Width: 36in
Lip Length: 9in. Lip Width: 23in
|Shape||Square with lip|
|Material||100% natural bamboo fibers|
|Underpad||Felt with non-slip dots|
If you want to protect your hardwood floor, these 5 office chair mats will do the trick.
And, with our complete guide, you know how to select the best one for YOU.
We hope that this has been a great help!
If you’re interested to know about other ways to protect your hardwood floor, click here.