Office chairs and carpets.
It seems like they’re not meant to be paired together.
Carpets make it difficult for your office chair to roll around.
On the flip side, the wheels of your office chair damages and ruins the carpet.
It’s like a constant battle.
Instead of ditching your office chair (or carpet?), why not place a chair mat in-between?
The truth is, you need to pick an office chair mat that’s compatible with your carpet. Not only that, but you also need to get one that suits your needs and preferences.
We’re here to help.
In this article, we’ll look at:
- The complete buying guide to office chair mats for carpets
- The 5 best office chair mats for carpets in the market today
Are you ready? Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Top 3 Picks for You
- The Complete Buying Guide To Office Chair Mats For Carpeted Floors
- 1. Size: Don’t Forget to Measure Your Rolling Habits
- 2. Shape: Match Your Mat With Your Workspace
- 3. Thickness: You Don’t Want Your Mat to Be Useless!
- 4. Material: How Long Do You Want Your Mat to Last?
- 5. Grippers: You Need Your Mat to Stay in Place
- 6. Designs: Bring Out the Inner Interior Designer in You
- The 5 Best Office Chair Mats for Carpets
Top 3 Picks for You
The Complete Buying Guide To Office Chair Mats For Carpeted Floors
If you want to be sure the chair mat you get fits your carpet, needs, and preferences, there are 6 things to look into – size, shape, thickness, material, grippers, and design.
Let’s take a closer look at each one.
1. Size: Don’t Forget to Measure Your Rolling Habits
Where do you often roll your office chair?
Answering this question will help you determine the right chair mat size.
Do you usually roll behind your desk?
To the side?
Or, do you not roll around that much?
When you know your rolling habits, you can measure that area. The measurement you get should be the size of your chair mat.
But what if you roll all around?
You’re not going to find a chair mat that fits the whole office. In this case, get one that can fit the areas where you most heavily roll on.
2. Shape: Match Your Mat With Your Workspace
What’s wrong with a square or rectangular chair mat?
However, there are chair mats with unique shapes that better fit some workspaces.
For example, if you roll your office chair all the way into your desk, a mat with a lip can protect the carpet under the desk.
Or, if you work in an L workstation, a clam-shaped mat will cover the carpet under BOTH desks.
So think about what’s the best fit first. Don’t just grab the square or rectangular ones right away.
3. Thickness: You Don’t Want Your Mat to Be Useless!
Who wants to buy a useless chair mat?
And certainly not you either.
But if you’re not careful, it’s easy to get one that dents from the wheels (making it hard to roll on) and damages your carpet.
How do you avoid that?
Make. sure. you. get. the. thickness. right.
To get it right, you first need to determine your carpet type.
Is it a low pile, standard pile, medium pile, or high pile?
Don’t know? Check here for reference:
- Low pile – up to 1/4inches thick
- Standard pile – up to 3/8inches thick
- Medium pile – up to 3/4inches thick
- High (or plush) pile – anything over 3/4inches thick
A quick tip: If you want to measure your carpet to know what type it is, get a paper clip and straighten the tip. Place the tip all the way down the carpet until it touches the floor. Then, mark the other end that flushes with the carpet and measure it with a measuring tape.
Now, remember this, the thicker your carpet, the thicker your chair mat should be.
Luckily, many chair mats today label what type of carpet it’s used for – low, standard, medium, or high.
If there are no labels and you’re unsure, it’s always best to go for a thicker one. This is because thick mats can work with thin carpets but thin mats can’t work with thick carpets.
For example, 1/8in mats are for medium pile carpets, yet it’ll work for a standard and low pile. It won’t, however, work for a high pile carpet, which needs a thickness of around 1/4 in.
Read more: The 5 Best Chair Mats For Heavy People
4. Material: How Long Do You Want Your Mat to Last?
The material of a chair mat has a say on how long it’ll last, how tough and sturdy it is. As well as how flat it stays without curling at the sides or edges.
Let’s list 3 of the best mat materials.
The most common chair mat materials are plastic: polycarbonate, vinyl, PVC, etc…
Since there are many, you won’t have trouble finding different options.
You need to be careful when choosing a plastic chair mat, though.
Stay away from the overly cheap ones.
These plastic mats easily deteriorate, especially on the edges, causing falling hazards.
Also, low-quality plastic breaks and cracks with only a few uses.
Make sure it doesn’t contain toxic chemicals.
If these chemicals leach out, the office environment won’t be safe for anyone.
You might be thinking, “why should I buy a plastic chair mat at all?”
Well, there are actually a lot of high-end plastic chair mats out there. Ones that can last, allow free rolling, and are free from all toxic chemicals – BPA, phthalate, lead, cadmium, etc…
And, as we said, there are more options with plastic chair mats than any other material.
Yes, there are office chair mats made from wood!
These wood chair mats give off a classy and beautiful look that no other material can match.
They’re not just used for office chairs or carpets…
They’re used for office decoration as well.
Also, it’s not a surprise that these chair mats are very tough and sturdy. I mean, it’s wood after all.
If there’s one thing you need to watch out for, it’s that the wood should have a coating or finishing. Some sort of protection to avoid warping and/or shriveling.
What material is the best of all?
Tempered glass takes the number 1 spot.
It’s the toughest, sturdiest, and most reliable chair mat.
You’ll never have to worry about it denting, breaking under your weight, or curling on the edges.
You don’t even need to worry about scratching the glass.
It stays as smooth as possible for your office chair to roll freely on.
This is sure to do it for you…
Tempered glass can last a lifetime!
Not only that, but it’ll still look brand new after many years of use.
The only thing is that you shouldn’t drop any heavy metal on it. If you do, it’ll shatter to pieces.
5. Grippers: You Need Your Mat to Stay in Place
The most annoying thing about chair mats is when it moves along with your office chair!
It. doesn’t. stay. in. place.
So, spare yourself the trouble…
Get a chair mat with grippers.
Any good office chair mat for carpets will have grippers, cleats, or spikes on its underpad.
These sink into the carpet and cling on to it, keeping the mat in place.
Don’t worry, it won’t destroy your carpet.
A quick tip: To match grippers with carpets, small and blunt ones are for low and standard pile carpets. While big and firm grippers are for medium and high pile carpets.
If you have a high pile carpet and the grippers are small and blunt, it won’t be able to penetrate and hold onto the carpet.
6. Designs: Bring Out the Inner Interior Designer in You
Finally, there’s the design.
Of course, this doesn’t have any say on the mat’s performance. It’s more about the display.
Choosing the design is the fun part since you can pick whatever suits your fancy.
Do you fancy bold colors?
Colors that don’t attract attention?
Or, do you NOT want to display the chair mat?
Lively colors, unique patterns, natural colors, transparent…
You name it, there’s a design for you!
The 5 Best Office Chair Mats for Carpets
Now that you know what to look for, let’s review the 5 best office chair mats for carpets in the market today.
1. The Clearest: Starcounters Office Chair Mat
- Heavy duty- no odor - lasts for years! A typical carpet floor protector can’t handle everyday wear and dents &...
- No more slipping, sliding and frustration! Many mats don’t have enough grip to hold onto carpet & end up sliding...
- No bending or curling edges! Unlike a plastic mat or pad, our chair mats for carpeted floors are thick, creating a...
Sure, almost all plastic chair mats are transparent.
But their transparency is usually murky and plasticky. Some even have a few patterns.
We’ll tell you now, it won’t look great on your carpet.
Of course, there are some exceptions, including Starcounters Office Chair Mat.
This mat gets rid of the sore eyes a lot of plastic chair mats cause.
One of the clearest plastic chair mats out there, it’ll be like there’s nothing at all.
Worried about harmful toxins?
Starcounters Office Chair Mat is FREE from all that, as well as PVC, vinyl, and phthalate.
Also, it’s made from 100% recyclable polycarbonate.
You can trust that it’s SAFE for both you and the environment.
As if this chair mat couldn’t get any better, it’s also sturdy and durable. All thanks to the polycarbonate.
Another thing we love about it is that it’s shipped to you flat.
There’s no more need to flatten the edges and curves for a few hours or days.
You’ll be able to use it immediately.
It’s one of the best plastic chair mats for carpets.
However, it’s a simple chair mat. You might find the price expensive.
|Size||Length: 36in; Width: 36in|
Lip length: 12; Lip width: 20in
|Shape||Square with lip|
|Grippers||Pronged base with studs|
|Carpet type||Low and medium-pile carpets|
2. The Toughest: Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat
- Scratch-resistant material ensures long-lasting smoothness
- Durable construction supports up to 1,000 lb.
- Easy-to-clean design allows quick, simple upkeep
You want tough?
Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat is the toughest of them all.
You might be wondering, “how can glass be the toughest? Won’t it easily break or scratch?”
Not tempered glass.
Processed to toughen up the glass, it can support weights up to 1,000lbs!
The process also makes it scratch-resistant. This will keep its smoothness for free rolling.
Theoretically, this chair mat can last forever!
Lorell Tempered Glass Chair Mat gets rid of other common glass chair mat worries…
- Hitting the sharp edges and getting a cut. The edges and corners are all smoothed and rounded.
- Its weight. It’s not THAT heavy. And, its weight is what allows it to stay in place. It also allows it to be compatible with any carpet type.
- The price. This mat is one of the most affordable tempered glass mats you’ll find today.
Believe us, you won’t find anything better than this!
Beware, though, that you don’t drop any heavy metal on it. That’s the only time it’ll shatter.
Another thing, make sure your office chair’s wheels are plastic instead of metal.
|Size||Length: 36in; Width: 46in|
3. The Thickest: AmazonBasics Office Chair Mat
- High gauge polycarbonate floor protectors provide a high impact resistant, easy glide rolling surface and will not...
- Excellent clear protection around desk and computer workstation carpet and rug surfaces from chair caster or wheel...
- Incredibly durable and hard wearing mats for long-life protection. Polycarbonate will instantly flatten and stays...
Plastic chair mats for high pile carpets are hard to find.
You’ll know this if you’ve been looking for one.
AmazonBasics Office Chair Mat offers the thickest plastic chair mat, perfect for high pile carpets.
With its thickness…
- It’s durable enough to hold against the softness of high pile carpets.
- It doesn’t dent, making it easy to roll your office chair.
- There’s no problem with curling edges. It stays flat on the carpet.
In addition to that, the surface has a slight texture. Your office chair won’t suddenly roll away from the desk .
In case you’re worried, it’s FREE of phthalate, tin, lead, and cadmium. As well as harmful emissions and bad odors.
If there’s one thing you need to watch out for, it’s the unrolling of this mat.
Carefully read and follow the unrolling instructions if you want it to be as flat as possible.
All in all, the AmazonBasics Office Chair Mat is a quality plastic mat for high pile carpets.
|Size||Length: 35in; Width: 47in|
|Material||High gauge polycarbonate|
(but specifically for high pile)
4. The Classiest: Anji Mountain Bamboo Chairmat
- Exquisite bamboo mat is more attractive than a plastic mat and supremely durable; Perfect for home or office.
- Perfect for Berber/Loop carpet (up to 3/8-Inch, with carpet pad) and hard floors; hard floor chair casters...
- Cleans easily with damp cloth and water; Bona Pro Series hardwood floor cleaner and refresher also recommended;...
What if you don’t want a transparent chair mat…
You want one that looks classy.
The Anji Mountain Bamboo Chairmat is for you!
Made from actual bamboo, it has a certain class and beauty that’ll stand out.
Whether you get the natural-colored or dark cherry one, you can be sure it’ll go well with your carpet.
What we find fascinating about this chair mat is how it’s made.
- The bamboo is first harvested from its natural habitat, the Anji Mountains in China.
- It’s then kiln-dried to the optimum moisture content.
- Then, it’s stripped to fibers and securely strung together to make this wooden chair mat.
- To finish it off, it’s coated with a premium UV coating to avoid cracking, warping, or shriveling.
Every small detail that goes into making these chair mats adds to its class.
And, even though it’s made from 100% bamboo, you can roll it up, making it easy to transfer or store.
It doesn’t have the best grippers, though. Only a felt-backing with non-slip dots.
Also, for top performance, your office chair wheels should be hard wheel casters. (If you want to replace your casters, click here to learn how to find the right replacement.)
|Size||Length: 42.75in; Width: 44in|
Lip length: 9.25in; Lip width: 23.75in
|Shape||Square with lip|
|Material||%100 natural bamboo fibers|
|Grippers||Felt-backing + non-slip dots|
|Carpet type||Low and standard pile carpets (or any Berber/loop carpets)|
5. The Decorative: Anji Mountain Mat Rug’d Collection
- Available in two thicknesses: 1/4-Inch is recommended for hard surfaces and commercial carpet, 1/2-Inch is...
- Easy rolling: chair casters roll effortlessly and smoothly over the tightly woven polyester rug surface
- Hardcore performance: mid-layer made from Phthalate-free PVC provides sturdy and durable support
Are you looking for a chair mat with colors and patterns?
Search no further.
Anji Mountain Mat Rug’d Collection has it all for you.
With its selection of patterns, you can pick one that suits and shows off your personality and style.
You’ll have a lot of fun with it!
Not only that, but this mat is also a 2-in-1. It’s a mat AND a rug combined.
To achieve that, it has 3 layers:
- The surface. This is made from 100% Jacquard woven polyester. The surface material gives off a rug feel, making it great for office chair wheels and your feet. (It’s not porous since the materials are woven tightly together.)
- The interlayer. To protect the carpet and avoid denting, the interlayer is made from phthalate-free PVC. This gives the mat a durable and sturdy base.
- The underpad. With a non-skid felt backing and rubberized dots, it won’t move along with your office chair.
What’s great about these mats/rugs is that you can place 2 or more beside each other and it’ll still look lovely.
Anji Mountain Mat Rug’d Collection comes folded in half. This means you won’t have a difficult time flattening it out.
If there’s one downside, it’s that this mat is rather hard to clean.
And, as you might guess, it’s on the more expensive side.
|Size||Length: 36in; Width: 48in|
|Material||%100 Jacquard woven polyester + phthalate-free PVC|
|Grippers||Non-skid felt-backing + rubberized dots|
|Design||Selection of patterns|
|Carpet type||Low and standard pile carpets|
We all want to protect our carpets and make it easier to roll our office chairs.
You can resolve BOTH of that with these 5 best office chair mats for carpets.
So now that you know what to look for, you can select the right one for you.
We hope that this has been a great help!
What’s the 5 best office chair mats for HARDWOOD FLOORS? Find out here.