Most of us with desk jobs tend to spend a huge chunk of our working hours stuck to an office chair. And this, not surprisingly, can lead to excess and stubborn stomach/belly fat.
So, how do you avoid belly fat if all you do is sit on a chair? One word, exercise.
A sedentary lifestyle puts us at risk of a plethora of health complications. To tackle this concerning issue, exercise is a must. After all, there’s only so much detox-teas can do!
We spend a major part of our working hours seated on a chair, or a sofa, or a bed. We go to work and sit on a chair, only moving when we have to. We even eat our lunches at our desks sometimes! That’s not a very healthy combination.
The less we move, the less fuel our body burns. The good news is, you can burn calories while sitting!
Do you spend long hours at a desk job and are looking for ways to tackle belly fat? We got you! No, you don’t have to drink green tea or buy an expensive gym membership. You can exercise right from your office chair! Here’s how you can avoid belly fat without moving from your workstation.
Table of Contents
- To Exercise or Not to Exercise/How Can Exercise Help Tackle Belly Fat Issues
- How Should I Sit To Flatten My Stomach?
- How Can I Lose Belly Fat While Sitting at my Desk?
- 5 Exercises for a Flat Belly While Sitting on your Office Chair
- Wrapping Up
To Exercise or Not to Exercise/How Can Exercise Help Tackle Belly Fat Issues
Work is unavoidable and essential to our survival. And desk jobs are known to have long-term effects on our health. In such cases, all we can do is find tools and resources to help avoid any serious health issues. Exercise is a great way to start that.
Now, how are you supposed to squeeze in an exercise session while racing against deadlines? Wouldn’t that get you tired and thus, by default, make you unproductive?
Absolutely not! Exercise can be tiring, yes, but not when done in moderation. The first step is to know your body’s limits and create a schedule that not only helps you reduce any problem you may already be facing but also keeps you in prime health.
There are multiple exercising options available that can be used to address a specific problem. If you’re looking to avoid belly fat, you don’t have to get a gym membership and dedicate a set number of hours of your day to it. You can exercise right from your office chair!
How Should I Sit To Flatten My Stomach?
When you’re sitting in one chair for long hours, which may or may not be comfortable, by the way, there’s not a lot of room for you to move around and exercise.
So, how do you sit for such extended periods while toning your stomach muscles?
By practicing good posture.
Posture plays a key role in curbing the pain of working long hours at a desk job. When you sit on your chair, make sure you keep your back straight. Just ensure you don’t touch the back of your chair as that can get uncomfortable quickly.
Good posture is also known to make you more productive, which can accelerate your career progress. It’s a win-win!
How Can I Lose Belly Fat While Sitting at my Desk?
When it comes to belly fat, a few additions or alterations to your chair can only help so much. You can try elevating your office chair, adding ergonomic hand rests and headrests, but that won’t make your belly fat magically disappear.
So, how do you avoid the many health effects that come with prolonged sitting on office chairs? With a combination of appropriate exercises and a well-balanced diet.
Here are a few tricks that can help you keep the stomach flab in check while you work:
- Move around. Just stretch your leg and take a short walk around the office every half an hour or hour.
- Pack a heart-healthy lunch like salads and fruits.
- Replace candies and other junk with nuts, Greek yogurt, and hummus for snacking.
- Squeeze your abs in and hold the position for about 10 seconds. Release and repeat till you’ve completed 10 reps.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Sip on ginger or peppermint tea during work hours. Caffeine breaks over soda breaks, always.
- Listen to music and take deep breaths to slow the production of the stress hormone cortisol as it is associated with sugar cravings and, by default, belly fat.
You can also benefit greatly by exercising right from your office chair. The exercises discussed below have been known to show noticeable effects when done regularly. As with any other exercise, consistency is key.
5 Exercises for a Flat Belly While Sitting on your Office Chair
Office work, especially a desk job, has been determined to be the prime cause of cardiovascular diseases, obesity, and diabetes. Here are five exercises that can help you do your job and be your best productive self while taking care of your health:
The purpose of this exercise is to help burn fat from the sides of your stomach and your hips.
- Keep your feet on the floor, and straighten your arms at level with your shoulders.
- Turn your body to the right. Bend and touch your left foot with your right hand. Stay in this position for a little while before returning to the original position.
- Now, bend and touch your right foot with your left hand. Repeat the exercise 20–30 times by alternating left foot–right hand and right foot–left hand bends.
Body Lift Above the Chair
This exercise works to tone the muscles of your belly, back, and shoulders. It’s probably the fastest way to burn body fat. But before you try this exercise, make sure that the chair is sturdy and doesn’t wobble.
- Sit on the chair and hold on to the arms of the chair tightly.
- Now, lift your body above your chair. This should result in your hips and legs hanging in the air.
- Raise your knees to your chest by using your abdominal muscles.
- Stay in this position for a little while before you return to the original position.
- Do this exercise at least four times throughout the day. Just make sure you have a short break between each lift.
To get the most out of this exercise, make sure to use a chair with arms.
Double Body Lift+Body Side Bends
This oblique muscle exercise aims to burn fat from the sides of your belly.
- Sit on the edge of your chair, and use both hands to hold the chair tightly . Keep your back straight and away from the chair.
- Bend your body to the side, and sit with the support of only one glute.
- Keeping your legs together, lift your knees to your chest.
- Return to the original position.
- Now repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 by alternating bending positions/sides.
- Repeat the exercise at least 10-20 times on each side.
This exercise aims to improve digestion, help burn fat, and strengthen abdominal muscles.
- Sit down on your chair. Make sure you sit with your back straight while avoiding touching the chair’s backrest.
- Now, keep your feet on the floor.
- Bending your knees, bend forward. Make soft fists with your hands and place them between your feet. This will make sure your feet are neatly on either side of your wrists. The position of your feet should be as parallel as you can make them.
- Keep your back straight and suck in your belly, then lift your right knee to your chest.
- Place your hands on your shin. This allows you to stretch your lower abdominal muscles better.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 by alternating your knees. Repeat the exercise 20–30 times.
This exercise works on your oblique and lower abdominal muscles. It’s also a really good workout for your waist.
- Sit on your chair with a straight back. Make sure you’re not touching the back of your chair.
- Put your hands behind your head.
- Lifting your right knee to your chest, bend your left elbow to meet your knee. Return to the original position.
- Practice step 3 by changing the knee and elbow.
- Repeat the exercise at least 15 times. Aim to complete at least four sets of 15 lifts.
Please note: Make sure your knee meets your opposite elbow. This should make your upper body turn slightly. If it doesn’t, you’re not doing it right. Check where you’re going wrong and rectify that.
To achieve maximum results, repeat the above listed exercises every day. Pair them with a healthy diet, and you will not have to wait long to see the desired results.
Desk jobs invite health issues, that’s something we can all agree on. However, the same office chair that gives you a “text neck,” poor posture, and causes back and neck pain can also alleviate pain, improve your posture, and help flatten your stomach. It all boils down to how you use it.
So, if you’re curious about how to sit in an office chair and still avoid belly fat, a combination of exercise and healthy food is the way to go. Follow the exercises detailed above and eat healthily, and you’ll be on your way to a flatter stomach in no time.
My name is Vance, and I am the owner of To Ergonomics. Our mission is to improve your workflow by helping you create a supportive and welcoming environment. We hope that you’ll find what you’re looking for while you’re here.