Living with lower back pain is not something anyone should have to do. Unfortunately, it’s a common issue with many individuals around the world.
However, sitting on a tailbone cushion, or coccyx cushion, can help alleviate a lot of the pressure that causes lower back pain.
Additionally, using a tailbone cushion can help with the pain caused by hemorrhoids as well as post-birth pain in women.
Finding the right seat cushion to ease your tailbone pain can take some research and maybe even some trial and error.
This article will try to answer the question “what is the best seat cushion for tailbone pain” while also offering a range of options for you to consider.
Table of Contents
Do Tailbone Cushions Work?
A tailbone cushion, also known as a coccyx cushion or pillow, is normally found in the shape of an O or a U, but can also be in other shapes.
While they may be found in a variety of shapes, thicknesses, and sizes, they all share one common feature. A small opening at the rear of the cushion where your tailbone rests.
This small opening in the cushion helps eliminate pinched nerves, painful pressure points, and pressure at the bottom of your spinal column.
Additionally, depending on the overall shape of the pillow itself, it can be great for eliminating the pain that comes from hemorrhoids or other ailments in the anal area.
U-shaped cushions can also be a great option for women that have just had a baby, as the shape of the cushion prevents pressure from being placed on that part of their anatomy.
This helps promote healing as well as providing a comfortable and pressure-free seating option whether the woman is at work, at their home, in a vehicle, or in other areas where sitting for more than a few minutes can cause discomfort.
Tailbone cushions are specifically made to take pressure off the coccyx bone, or lower part of the spine also known as the tailbone. This bone rests in your upper buttocks area, where a small dimple can be found above your buttocks and below your lumbar.
By using a tailbone cushion, you are allowing that abrupt end of your spine to basically hang above the seat. This prevents pressure from being placed on the spine which in turn helps relieve lower back pain.
How Do You Sit on Your Tailbone Cushion?
If you are new to using a tailbone cushion, you may be wondering how to best sit on it in order to get the full range of benefits it offers. Tailbone cushions are best used alone, and not with other cushions.
For example, don’t stack multiple cushions up and expect to get better results. This can cause an imbalance in the cushions and end up placing more pressure on your tailbone than if you were just using a single cushion.
A tailbone cushion should be placed directly on the chair or bench. If you have a firm chair or seating arrangement, this is a good option as it will allow the tailbone cushion to provide the best relief to your spine.
Always try to use your cushion in a chair that has a proper backrest. If you can find an ergonomic shape that helps encourage the natural S-shape of your spine, this is even better.
The added ergonomic support from the backrest will go one step further in helping to improve your posture and relieve pressure points and pinched nerves when sitting.
Another thing to keep in mind is that some tailbone cushions can be extremely thick, they can be 4 inches thick or even more in some cases.
While this might not seem like much, it can leave your feet well above the floor when sitting in some chairs.
If this happens, be sure to use a footrest or small platform to raise your legs and keep your knees at a 90-degree angle. This will encourage proper spinal alignment and provide the best results from your tailbone cushion.
How Do I Choose a Great Tailbone Cushion?
There is a wide range of choices when it comes to selecting the best tailbone cushion for your needs.
For example, you may be searching for one in a specific shape or size to fit a favorite chair or maybe wanting one that is small and easy to transport discreetly.
Finding the right cushion for your needs may take a bit of time, but once you locate the best cushion and start feeling relief from tailbone and lower back pain, you will find the effort to be entirely worth it.
Consider a few options before making your final purchase:
- Do I want gel packs? Some cushions include gel packs in the seat that can not only conform better to your seat shape, but can also provide heat or cooling effects to your buttocks and tailbone.
- Do I want simple or elaborate? Some cushions may be nothing more than a square of foam with a notch for the tailbone to be suspended, while others can provide full support from your tailbone to your thighs.
- What type of materials do I want? You can find tailbone cushions made from standard foam, or memory foam. There are also some made from bamboo and other environmentally sustainable materials.
- What type of cover do I want? Keeping your tailbone cushion clean won’t be a chore when you find one that has a removable cover, or even a waterproof cover. These can be great for daily and long-term use, as well as for hygienic appearances when traveling.
Finding the right cushion is worth the time and effort it may take.
There are so many choices that it may seem overwhelming when first searching for the right tailbone cushion, but taking the time to ensure you have selected the right one is definitely worth your while.
If you simply can’t decide, here are some options to help you out.
1/ ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion
- Most Comfortable Gel Memory Foam Cushion On The Market - ComfiLife's all-in-one features are unrivaled: Non-slip...
- Supports Tailbone and Relieves Pressure - Ergonomically designed seat cushion provides maximum support and comfort...
- Provides Lower Back Pain & Sciatica Relief, Great for Office Use, Driving & Traveling - Supports recovery from...
This cushion is an excellent all-around option when you want both simplicity and a few extra features. It includes a U-shaped opening for your tailbone that is large enough to also help with hemorrhoid pain.
The cover has a non-slip backing giving you full security when using it on a variety of chair types, including wheelchairs.
The interior includes high-quality memory foam with orthopedic gel inserts to provide a cooling or heating effect that can help soothe painful nerves or inflammation.
Additionally, you can find the cushion in both black and white colorations of the removable and washable cover, which helps it blend into any decor.
If that wasn’t enough, it includes a convenient carry handle which makes it extremely easy to grab and take with you while traveling or when doing yoga or physical therapy.
2/ Sleepavo Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- Help alleviate back and hip pain: Sleepavo’s coccyx pillow has been ergonomically designed to help take pressure...
- Signature ergonomic shape with pressure-relieving cut out: The U-shaped design, with its cut-out center and...
- High density memory foam seat cushion: This coccyx cushion is made from a high-quality memory foam to offer comfort...
If you’re searching for a versatile cushion that can be used on airplanes, in vehicles, and in wheelchairs, here it is. This cushion is made from high-density memory foam which gives it a contouring comfort some other cushions can’t provide.
The large U-shaped cut-out helps relieve pressure from your entire tailbone area, and can also provide pressure relief from herniated discs and hemorrhoids. The washable cover is made from polyester and comes in black coloration.
It’s easy to remove when needed and includes a built-in carry handle for easy transportation.
This cushion is excellent for traveling in a vehicle or on an airplane as it is both thick enough to provide comfort on long trips, as well as small enough to be easy to transport when space is limited.
3/ Roho Standard Inflatable Seat Cushion
- Light, easily portable wheelchair cushion that works great for bedside chairs, car/truck seats and sporting events...
- Ideal for individuals at risk for skin/soft tissue breakdown, experiencing pain, impaired sensation and looking for...
- Designed to match the shape of the user, adapting to every movement to reduce risk of injury to skin/soft tissue...
For individuals in wheelchairs, or those prone to pressure sores or dealing with limited sensation while sitting, Roho has made the perfect solution for you.
Their inflatable cushion offers a range of comfort options for your tailbone, lower back, and buttocks area while still being highly affordable and extremely lightweight.
Its large size of 16 x 16 inches and weight limit of 315 pounds gives most individuals the seating comfort they need whether it’s in a wheelchair, vehicle, airplane, at home, or at work.
When inflated, the cushion spans just over 3 inches thick and includes multiple air cells to keep air pressure where it is needed most. You can move around comfortably and not risk feeling imbalance or discomfort in any area regardless of how your weight is distributed.
The stretchable cover is easy to remove for washing. It also offers a non-skid surface to keep the cushion in the chair where you need it.
4/ SOFTaCARE Memory Foam Cushion and Lumbar Support Combo
- WOULD YOU LIKE TO SIT COMFORTABLY AND WITHOUT PAIN??? SOFTaCARE WILL HELP YOU! SEAT CUSHION decreasing pressure on...
- BOTH PREMIUM MEMORY FOAM CUSHIONS TOGETHER WITH MAXIMUM FEATURES! Seat Cushion made with NON-SLIP rubber bottom –...
- PREMIUM SOFTaCARE SEAT CUSHION WILL HELP YOU with all hard surface – CHAIR in Your OFFICE, CAR SEAT in Your car,...
If you find yourself suffering less from tailbone-specific pain and more from general lower back pain, this cushion and lumbar support combo is a great option to consider.
The seat cushion includes a wide U-shaped cutout to provide relief from tailbone pressure and pain, while the included lumbar pillow helps support and shape your spine into its natural S-curve.
The velour cover is easy to remove and both pieces are fully washable.
Additionally, the seat cushion makes use of a non-slip backing to keep it in place, and the lumbar support pillow has two secure straps to keep it in place on almost any chair or vehicle seat.
If this isn’t enough, you’ll find two small pockets on the lumbar pillow for you to place your phone or MP3 player so you can relax the day away while listening to your favorite music or podcasts.
A tailbone cushion might look odd, but using one can definitely help alleviate a range of pain you may be feeling in your lower spine.
They are also great for use in vehicles, when on long trips, or with wheelchairs for individuals that are prone to pressure sores and tissue damage due to extended seating.
Don’t be afraid to take the time to find the right tailbone cushion before you make your purchase. It might seem daunting, but the effort will be well worth it in the end.