Having an office chair that allows you to roll around is convenient. It allows you to move around your desk with ease. The downside is when your wheels stop working efficiently.
A good quality office chair can last up to 10 years but if you do not take care of it and clean it correctly, the lifespan will decrease.
More often than not, office chairs tend to stop working well when they are dirty and need a good wash. There is an upside, office chair wheels can be cleaned with ease! We are going to show you how you can clean your wheels in several different ways.
Table of Contents
- Why do you need to clean your office chair wheels?
- What do you need to clean your office chair wheels?
- How to get the dirt off your office chair wheels
- How to take apart an office chair wheel
- How often should you clean your office chair wheels?
- How can you make your office chair wheels roll better?
- Final Thoughts
Why do you need to clean your office chair wheels?
Cleaning your office chair wheels allows your chair to move around the way it was designed to. Turns out, your caster wheels on your office chair are more important than you think. Your casters help your chair glide across the floor quickly and with ease.
You need to clean your caster wheels because if you allow them to collect dirt, dust, and hair all the time, your wheels will eventually stop rolling. You will then have an office chair with wheels that do not roll you around the office for your convenience.
What do you need to clean your office chair wheels?
There are a few items you need to have before you are able to start cleaning your office chair wheels.
- Bucket for your water
- 2 cloths, one to get wet and one to dry
- Cleaning detergent that is safe for the material of your wheels
- A vacuum with the correct attachments to work on the small surface area of the wheels
- Lubricant for the wheels
- A screwdriver or other tools like that to remove the wheels from the office chair
- Duct tape to help remove hair and other small particles
- Tweezers/clippers to help you remove hairs and other tiny stuff
- Paper towel to remove any excess product
Once you have all these items, you will then be able to clean your office chair wheels with ease.
How to get the dirt off your office chair wheels
In this section, we will show you how to clean your office chair wheels when they are attached to your chair as well as when they are taken off your chair.
How to remove dirt without removing your office chair wheels
The tips we are about to share with you can work without you having to remove the wheels from the chair. Keep in mind that removing the wheels will allow you to clean the wheels better but if you are unable to remove your wheels, you can still give them a good clean.
- Place your chair upside down so that the wheels are facing you.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up any dirt that might be lying on your wheels. You want to make sure that you remove as much dust and dirt as possible before you get your wheels wet.
- If there is hair stuck in your wheels, see below on how you can remove the hair before you wet the wheels.
- Take a damp cloth and gently wipe down your wheels. Make sure that you place the cloth in hard-to-reach places. You can use a cleaning detergent that is safe to use on the material that your wheels are made out of.
- Make sure to dry your wheels properly. You can use a dry towel or you can place your chair in the sun to dry.
- Apply a lubricating product to your wheels and caster to ensure that the wheels can roll around correctly. This will also help prevent damage to the structure of the wheels as well as reduces the risk of rusting. If your wheels have metal-to-metal contact, you can use a greaseless lubricant as it attracts less dirt. If you have plastic wheels, you will find that a silicone-based lubricant works best.
- Remove any excess lubricant product from your chair using a paper towel.
- Place your chair back in the correct position.
How to remove hair from your office chair wheels
There are several different methods that you can use to help remove hair from your office chair wheels. Below are some of the methods you can use to help remove human hair as well as pet air from your office chair wheels.
- Duct Tape
Duct tape is a great product to have around your house. All you need to do is roll your wheels over a piece of duct tape that is facing the sticky side up. The duct tape will collect any hairs that are floating around your wheels.
- Clippers and or tweezers
If you have some spare time on your hands, you can use tweezers to manually pull off any hairs that might be caught on your wheels. You might also need to use a pair of tweezers for those hard-to-reach places.
- Soap and water
Once you have tried the other two methods and you still find some hair on your wheels, you can take your wheels off and place them in some warm soapy water. Leave them in the water for about 15 minutes or so. Remove the wheels and gently scrub the wheels with a brush or use a washcloth.
Top Tip: These tips for washing your wheels on your office chair, do not only work for office chairs. You can use these methods to clean any wheels that might be attached to your office furniture such as a desk, table, serving cart, and so on.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when cleaning dirt out of your wheels namely:
- Hair is harder to remove when wet. You might want to try to remove the hair before you use liquid to clean your wheels
- Make sure that you clean your wheels regularly so that every time you clean them, it will not take a long time. Plus, clean wheels will keep your chair rolling at optimal functionality
- Do not reattach your wheels when the parts are wet. Wet or damp material can damage your flooring as well as cause the wheels and caster to rust over time. You will also get an unpleasant smell if you have carpet
- If you want to buy a new office chair, look for a chair that has wheels that can easily separate from the caster. This will make your cleaning easier and will save you time
- A chair mat is a great way for you to keep your office chair wheels cleaner for longer
- Vacuum your office area once a week. This will reduce the amount of dust and dirt in your office which will reduce the dirt that gets caught in your wheels
- Ensure that you use the correct lubricant for your office chair. Get one that is safe to use as well as designed for the material of your wheels
How to take apart an office chair wheel
Most office chairs these days are fairly simple to take apart. All you need to do is follow these simple steps and your office chair wheel will pop right off.
- Turn your chair upside down. This will allow you to work on your chair without causing damage to your seat or cause injury to your body by being in a bad working position.
- Remove the base of the chair. You can do this by using a screwdriver to loosen the screws that hold the base to the rest of the structure.
- You should now be able to remove the wheels with ease. Some wheels you might have to screw off and others, you can simply pop or slide them off. This will depend on the type of wheel you have and the design of your office chair.
- Once the wheels have been cleaned, you can use a bit of lubrication on the inside of the wheels. This will help your wheels roll better.
- Wipe away excess product to ensure that you do not attract dirt.
- Place the wheels and the base back in place, you can turn your chair over and you are good to go.
These are the basic steps that you can use to remove the wheels from your chair. Make sure to read the manual as some office chairs come with different attachments and might need extra steps to remove the wheels correctly and safely.
How often should you clean your office chair wheels?
There is no precious answer to this question. Some people say that you should clean your wheels once every 6 months when you apply lubrication. Others believe that you need to do it more often.
End of the day, you need to clean your office chair wheels when you start to feel that you are battling to roll around your office floor. As soon as you start to struggle, you should set aside some time to clean your wheels correctly and carefully.
You should, however, clean your office once a week. Make sure to wash the floors or vacuum your carpet. If you have an office chair mat, you should clean that once a week as well.
A clean office will reduce the amount of dirt on the floor. Less dirt means that you will need to clean your wheels less frequently.
How can you make your office chair wheels roll better?
By cleaning your casters on your office chair regularly, you will be able to make your chair wheels roll better.
The caster is a wheeled device that is attached to the bottom of each chair leg. It allows the chair to move around and roll with ease. It is made up of the mount, stem, and wheel. Some models can come with other parts attached as well.
The wheels often get dirt stuck in them such as hair, dust, and fibers from your carpet and chair itself. Once your wheels are clean, you will notice that your chair will roll better along the floor.
Your chair will feel as if it is brand new. You might also have to replace a wheel after a few months as some casters are not designed to last forever. Once you have cleaned the wheels and you have not gotten the desired results, you might want to look into replacing the wheels.
You can replace your wheels with a product that is best suited for your needs as well as your carpet or other flooring materials.
One of the best-kept secrets to keeping your wheels rolling correctly is to lubricate them every 6 months or so. This will protect your wheels as well as your flooring.
When dirt gets stuck in your wheels, you tend to apply pressure to the chair which forces the dirt into your flooring. If you have carpet especially, this will cause the most damage.
Did you know, back in the 1840s, Charles Darwin changed his office chair by adding cast-iron bed legs on casters so that he could roll around his lab? He needed a quicker way to get to his specimen.
This is how the office chair on wheels was invented. Historians believe that this was the first-ever office chair on wheels.
Office chairs with wheels were designed to make your life easier in the office. You are able to roll around on your chair to help you get around the office with convenience.
When your wheels are dirty, they begin to slow down, and moving around is not easy. The longer you wait to clean your wheels, the harder it will become to clean them. Make sure you clean your wheels as often as needed.
Office chairs are not cheap. You want to make sure that you look after your chair and keep it in great working condition.
When you clean your wheels, you can also clean your office chair seat. Your seat contains a lot of dirt and bacteria. Wash your seat with soap and water or you can simply vacuum your seat to get rid of unwanted dirt.