Wrist pain, stiff cramping fingers, sore forearms, and a dash of shoulder pain.
These seem like minor problems many office workers, like you, face.
You may think that it’s enough to just “shake off” the pain or even massage your wrist every few minutes.
You probably write the pain off as a side effect of typing for long hours and hope it will get better after a night’s rest.
But did you ever stop to consider that maybe your keyboard was not made for your comfort in the first place?
Most keyboards are created with affordability and convenience in mind, and not the comfort and wellbeing of their users.
At least, that was the case until Ergonomic Keyboards were created!
Now, you have an option to minimize the pain and discomfort of typing for long hours every day.
They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and are created to meet the needs of different types of people.
Ergonomic keyboards have been getting hyped up by techies all over the world. Which leads to the question: “Are they worth it?”
If this is something you want to find out, keep scrolling!
Table of Contents
- Health Benefits of Ergonomic Keyboards
- Work Benefits of Ergonomic Keyboards
- Are Ergonomic Keyboards Worth It?
- How to Choose an Ergonomic Keyboard
Health Benefits of Ergonomic Keyboards
Many think that ergonomic keyboards were created only recently, but that’s not true!
The first ergonomic keyboards were created way back in the 90s! Crazy right?
Even though they have been around for a while, many people still don’t know the health and work benefits these keyboards bring to many office workers, CEOs, journalists, and students alike.
Let’s talk about them:
- Wrist Support. Ergonomic keyboards were designed to give more space for your wrists and forearms to rest in the middle of the keyboard while you are typing. You will find that certain ergonomic keyboards have extended spaces at the bottom, and this small “ledge” is where you can rest your wrist while you work.
- Healthy Posture. Because you can comfortably place both of your wrists and forearms on your table while you type, you can maintain proper back and shoulder placement. Leading to prolonged comfort and lesser pain.
- Reduced Risk of Carpal Tunnel. Ergonomic keyboards were designed in a way that allows the natural positioning of the wrists, fingers, and forearms. Reaching letters and using keyboard commands no longer causes your hand and arm muscles to strain, thus lowering the risk of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Work Benefits of Ergonomic Keyboards
Aside from your overall well being, let’s talk about some of the work benefits these seemingly ordinary keypads bring to every PC and laptop user!
- Durability Ensured. Ergonomic keyboards were created for people who spend hours every day typing away on their computers. These keyboards are created to last through all that heavy use, ensuring a bang for your buck each year that passes. Granted that it doesn’t get slammed on the floor or chewed to bits by enthusiastic puppies, of course!
- Portability. Ergonomic keyboards come in all shapes and sizes. If your job involves a lot of traveling or outdoor work, you can easily pack your keyboard up and bust it out wherever, whenever.
Planes, terrains, and seashores. Your ergonomic keyboards will be there for you whenever you need them!
- Productivity. Thanks to the comfort, durability, and portability that these ergonomic keyboards provide, you can look forward to more productive days at work or school.
You will experience ease when typing, even for long hours. Plus, pain and stiffness from a long day of sitting and looking at a computer screen are greatly minimized!
- Personalization. If you decide to splurge, some ergonomic keyboards have keys you can customize the function of. This helps make typing easier, faster, and more convenient. Yet another addition to minimizing the strain you put on your wrists and fingers as you type!
Are Ergonomic Keyboards Worth It?
To answer this age-old question: yes!
You bet ergonomic keyboards are worth it. Just take a look at the benefits that we listed above.
Not only will they help keep you and your body safe from hefty hospital bills, but they also help you fulfill your work and school responsibilities without a hitch.
Imagine clocking out of work on time because you were able to submit all the documents you needed to check and type out for the day.
Imagine signing contracts and renewing agreements with clients because you’re able to work comfortably and swiftly produce results.
You can do all of that and more if you choose to invest in an ergonomic keyboard that fits your needs.
Should you only buy one type of keyboard? No!
As we mentioned above, ergonomic keyboards come in all shapes and sizes to accommodate the needs of each customer.
This means that you can buy different types of ergonomic keyboards for different typing purposes.
If you need to ride on a plane, you can opt for a slimmer and smaller keyboard. If you have a work-from-home setting, you may want to choose a full-sized one.
The choices are endless for these types of keyboards. You’re guaranteed to find the perfect one for you!
How to Choose an Ergonomic Keyboard
Has all the talk about the perks and benefits convinced you of buying your very own ergonomic keyboard? Awesome!
But what now? How are you going to choose the right ergonomic keyboard for you?
Don’t worry, we’re here to talk about the things you should be looking out for before you buy an ergonomic keyboard. Let’s get started!
The reasons you’re getting an ergonomic keyboard in the first place is for the ease and comfort you will experience while using it.
And that’s thanks to its adjustability!
If your keyboard lacks this quality, this should already be a deal-breaker. Without its adjustability, your muscles will have no choice but to strain awkwardly just so you can type out a few paragraphs.
Ideally, your hands should be able to “float” over the keyboard without too much strain as you move up, down, left, or right.
To get a better image of the adjustability, check out this youtube video
Having to press the keys harder than necessary can add strain to your tendons. If nothing is done to solve this issue, it might cause direct injury to your wrists, possibly leading to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
Tactile feedback will help indicate that the keys have been properly pressed and that you don’t need to add more pressure when hitting them.
For those who don’t know, tactile feedback, also known as haptic feedback, refers to the high vibration patterns and waves ergonomic keyboards use to transmit information from the device to its user.
A great example of this would be putting your phone on “vibrate” mode. Every time you receive a call or message, your phone notifies you through vibration.
It’s the same with ergonomic keyboards. Your keys will notify you that it “felt” you touch the key through vibration.
The flat orientation of “typical” keyboards may seem like no big deal, but these affect your wrists more than you think. You see, hands don’t normally just lay flat unless you force them to.
If you rest your hands on the table, you will see that they lean out to the side a little bit.
A split keyboard will allow your hands to relax and type with ease without the need for twisting or straining.
Thanks to this, it significantly reduces the amount of pressure and tension on your wrists, joints, and forearms!
If you don’t know what a split-type ergonomic keyboard looks like, just check out this Perixx Periboard - 512 Ergonomic Split Keyboard on Amazon .
Another split-type keyboard you should check out is this ergonomic first-timer’s video on the Logitech Ergo K860 Review.
So, are ergonomic keyboards worth it? Yes, they are!
An ergonomic keyboard is the best solution to reducing the discomfort you feel after typing for the whole day.
Thanks to how ergonomic keyboards are designed, you have a lower risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome. That means fewer hospital bills to worry about!
Plus, you’ll be able to work faster, smoother, and for longer hours thanks to the adjustability and design of your ergonomic keyboard.
So if you’re always struggling with wrist pain and stiff fingers, it’s time to give an ergonomic keyboard a try!
Now that you know a bit more about ergonomic keyboards, let’s talk about a few FAQs that may be running through your mind!
Where can I buy an ergonomic keyboard?
Ergonomic keyboards are very easy to find. You can get your very own ergonomic keyboard from:
What are the top ergonomic keyboard brands?
I just got my ergonomic keyboard, but it feels uncomfortable using it. Why am I experiencing this?
If it’s your first time using an ergonomic keyboard, you might want to give your hands and wrists some time to adjust and adapt to the new form of typing.
If you currently have an ergonomic keyboard but are switching to a new brand or design, then you will also need to give yourself some time to get used to the new device.